Since I’m in the middle of my gap year right now, my days might not be as structured as yours. I don’t have any obligations that require me to wake up at 6am. I’m not working, and I’m not in school, but I still do it anyway. I treat my Monday through Friday just as you probably treat yours–hard at work, at my desk, fulfilling my own self-requirements.
Some days go by quick while others drag on and on and on. When my day is “done” at six o’clock, there’s only one thing on my mind: FOOD.
The recipe that I’m sharing with you today is perfect for night’s when you’re exhausted. It doesn’t require much effort, time or ingredients, but it’s still nutritious and god damn delicious! Bonus points: it’s vegetarian; however, if you don’t eat eggs, you can leave that part out. 🙂
Let’s get started!
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
Serving Size: 1
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- Half a cup of dried Quinoa
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 a head of romaine; chopped or intact
- 1 egg
- 2 pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 pinches of minced garlic (fresh or preserved; I used preserved)
- Sea Salt; to taste
- Ground Pepper; to taste
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- When oven is heated, pierce sweet potato with a fork several times
- Place in oven on a baking tray lined with foil
- Let cook for 45 min.
- 20-25 minutes into the sweet potato cooking, begin to cook quinoa.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1/2 cup of quinoa to 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and let simmer until all liquid has been absorbed. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- As quinoa is simmering, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; stir.
- Add romaine and press it down into oil and seasoning. Cover and cook for a minute or two.
- Crack egg on top of romaine. Toss and stir for a few minutes until romaine is wilted, the egg is cooked, and all liquid has evaporated.
- Continue cooking longer to char romaine or until desired doneness.
- Remove from heat.
When the quinoa and sweet potato is done, your dinner is ready! Plate, serve, and enjoy! 🙂
I’m off to eat and go watch The Vampire Diaries. If you try this recipe out, comment down below and let me know what you think!